Call for Nuance Dragon Support +1-888-432-7932
General information about the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 Service Pack
This article contains information about the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 Service Pack. This article will discuss the requirements, download steps and the list of fixes found in the Service Pack. For additional information about Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5, use the following resources:
- System Requirements for Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12
- Application compatibility with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Training Tools: User Guide, Workbook, Instructional Videos, and more…
Service Pack Requirements:
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.0, in the following editions:
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.0, in the following languages:
- Click here to view the full Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 Release Notes. This document contains detailed information on Service Pack, including installation tips and known issues.
- This update is not applicable for Dragon NaturallySpeaking editions in any other languages.
- This update is not applicable for Dragon NaturallySpeaking in any other edition.
- This update is not applicable for any special releases of Dragon, which may be supplied by a Nuance partner/hardware manufacturer.
- The service pack does not upgrade existing v12.5 user profiles, but it is recommended to back up your user profile before installing the service pack (see the release notes for additional information).
Downloading the Service Pack:
The Service Pack is available for download through the Nuance Update Service. The Nuance Update Service is an automatic update service included with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
Note: To access the “Check for Updates” menu from within Dragon NaturallySpeaking, you must be logged into the computer as a Windows User account that has administrator level permissions.
****** THE SERVICE PACK IS ONLY ACCESSIBLE FROM WITHIN DRAGON NATURALLYSPEAKING. THIS TECHNOTE DOES NOT HAVE A LINK TO DOWNLOAD A PATCH ******
To open the Nuance Update Service, do the following:
- Start Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.
- Click “Help > Check for Updates”.
- When the Update Service opens, select the “Service Pack 1 for Dragon NaturallySpeaking v12 – New” update.
- Click the “Download Only” button to save the Service Pack to the computer.
- Select a location to save the file (such as the Windows Desktop) and click the “Save” button.
- Once downloaded, double-click on the “DNS12ServicePack1.exe” file to install the Service Pack. Please be sure to close out of all open applications before installing the Service Pack (except the Service Pack download itself).
Download Name: DNS12ServicePack1.exe
Approximate size: 500 MB
Approximate download time: 5-10 minutes
Important Note: If the “Install” button is selected instead of the “Download Only” button, a message may appear stating that all open applications should be closed before continuing the installation. All applications can be closed except for the Update Service window. The Service Pack can be successfully installed with this window open by pressing the “Ignore” button, however all other applications, including Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12, must be closed.
Additional Tips and Suggestions:
- Upgrades or modifications should be performed before downloading and installing the Service Pack if there are plans to:
- Upgrade editions within version 12.0 (Example: v12.0 Home to v12.0 Premium).
- Modify or repair the installation (Example: install a new vocabulary).
- After applying the Service Pack, the Service Pack will need to be re-installed if:
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking is upgraded within editions of version 12.0.
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation is modified, repaired, or removed.
- The Service Pack cannot be un-installed separately. To un-install the Service Pack, it is required to remove the complete Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation from the Windows Control Panel.
- During the installation of the service pack, a drop down to select language will appear. Make sure to select the language of Dragon NaturallySpeaking that is currently installed.
Issues fixed with the Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 Service Pack:
Additional Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 fixes and improvements:
Improved Microsoft Windows 8 usability: Windows 8 is now fully supported with Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5.
The new Dragon Audio Bar can be displayed on the Windows 8 Start Screen to control Dragon’s microphone outside of the Windows 8 Desktop environment.
New Charms Bar commands to access the Windows 8 Charms Bar.
New “Press Windows Key” command for Windows 8 navigation shortcuts.
Ability to switch between the Start Screen and Desktop.
Microsoft Office 2013 support: Dragon 12.5 now provides support for Microsoft Office 2013 with the same functionality that was available for earlier versions of Microsoft Office.
Note: To access the “File” tab in Office 2013, say the command “Click File Tab”. For more information, please refer to the Dragon Help file by clicking “Help > Help Topics” from the DragonBar.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 support: Dragon 12.5 now provides support for Internet Explorer 10 with the same functionality that was available for Internet Explorer 9.
Additional Rich Internet Applications support: In addition to the Gmail and Hotmail support through Dragon’s Rich Internet Application feature, support for Microsoft’s Outlook.com mail service is now available.
Note: Rich Internet Applications support is available in Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 or 10 (32-bit only), Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. For additional information and the latest supported browser versions, please see Technote 6861: “Information on Rich Internet Application support”.
Floating Dragon Sidebar: Dragon Sidebar is now set to “Floating” by default. Previously, the Dragon Sidebar was set to “Docked to Right” by default, which could result in desktop icons and windows being moved when the Sidebar is displayed. Now with the Sidebar set to “Floating” mode, icons and windows will not be moved when the sidebar is displayed.